News from Mar 27, 2016 – Sep 11, 2016
Hello and welcome to the ninth issue of This Week in Amethyst (or more accurately, These Months in Amethyst), a blog bringing you the latest changes and updates regarding the Amethyst game engine every week (or a few months). If you have any suggestions or ideas, feel free to voice them on GitHub or the Gitter chat.
From this edition onward This Week in Amethyst will be changed to This Month in Amethyst. Lately, progress has been coming in sporadic bursts with long periods of silence, so we thought a monthly format might suit us better.
With that out of the way, what have we been up to in the past few months? Well, a lot, actually! We've seen versions 0.3.0 and 0.3.1 come and go. Rendering, event handling, and the entity-component-system (ECS) libraries have stabilized to the point where we can finally ship some real working examples starting with the upcoming 0.4.0, including a simple version of pong! This means that the long-awaited "pong clone" chapter will be added soon to the book!
What's cooking on develop?
- Both Specs and GFX have been fully integrated into Amethyst, starting with version 0.4.0.
- We have first light! A flexible GFX-based renderer has been implemented. Great job, @csherratt!
- Basic YAML configuration loading has been written, courtesy of @Aceeri.
- The amethyst_context crate has been introduced, which holds a collection of common resources that can be passed around different parts of the engine. Credit goes to @nchashch.
- Event handling for keyboard input and window events is now supported via Glutin, with support for more windowing systems to come. Thanks again to @nchashch for the addition!
- We now have a default renderer processor included with the ECS, which enables us to write the new pong example. Thanks again to the powerhouse @nchashch for the brilliant work!
- The build tool gained the
deploysubcommand. This builds your project in release mode, runs all your unit and integration tests, compresses your game assets, and outputs everything to a directory called
- The build tool is also capable of checking for malformed game projects and also tweaking Cargo features in preparation for the proposed "shards" extension system (issue #34).
amethyst_enginecrate has been deprecated and moved to the
Calls for participation
All of these issues have mentors available. Just comment on the issue to let us know that you are working on it!